10 Facts about Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
1. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis affects 14 million people in the United States
2. Hashimoto’s is the most common thyroid disorder in America.
3. Women are 7 times more likely to have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis than men
4. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune thyroid disorder.
5. The body produces antibodies that attack its own chemical components.
6. These types of disorders are caused by a malfunction in your immune system.
7. Thyroid hormones influence growth, sexual maturing, and mental development as well as the blood cholesterol.
8. Symptoms include weight gain, cold intolerance, dry skin, depression, hair thinning, fatigue, foggy brain and stiffness.
9. The thyroid needs iodine to make the T1 and T2 hormones
10. Xenoestrogens leach from BPA plastics and disrupt the endocrine system and upset the hormones.